Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Phoenix Comicon Part 2- Our Costumes

 The continuing saga of our first Comicon. The part that, to the kids, was the most important. The costumes. See the first part here- it's kind of dull, the leading up to getting there.

COSTUMES

As previously mentioned, we pulled together costumes. The kids got such a kick out of that.

Day One, Bat Girl and Bat Man. 
Super cute, and super popular. I think about 15 people stopped us to take pictures, and we were only there from 4:30-7:30 or so. There were lots of Bat people there all weekend, but I think Ada's Bat Girl costume was definitely the cutest of the lot. Sadly, she dropped her mask as we were walking out for lunch on the last day. Someone saw it drop and ran to tell us within 2 minutes, but someone else had grabbed it and never turned it in to lost and found. Jerk. Not the only one we ran into.



Day two, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. 
These were the costumes that needed the most supplementing, but everything was super cheap on eBay and Goodwill. I lucked out. Zane was a fabulous Harry, although he didn't want to be for very long, and Ada's Hermione was out of this world. The two of them together, once again, were huge camera draws, and got lots of photo requests.
Harry and Hermione. Expelliarmus!
Harry Potter





Harry and Hermione take on the TARDIS


Days three and four-
Anything goes. I found Iron Patriot for Zane, which we only saw 2-3 others of. I think that was is favorite costume, although it was my least favorite. The body of the costume is just a simple Halloween costume, polyester jumpsuit. Not clever at all. But he loves it.

Ada brought her Rapunzel dress. She wasn't sure she wanted to wear it, but the third day, we did a hybrid of Rapunzel and Bat Girl. That was pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.
   

Mostly Ada did Hermione for the last two days, though. She really liked the attention. Can't imagine where she gets that from.

As for me, I switched it up over the days, but I think it went like this:

Day one:11th Doctor 
Easy to pull off, just needed suspenders and a bow tie (got a Jerry Garcia one which was on clearance at Kohl's for $5.)  Black skirt and tights and shoes I already owned, cream colored long sleeved shirt and cami, I went femme Doctor. Oh, and the fez I got a while back. Can't forget the fez. Fezes are cool.
Days two and four: Captain Mal Reynolds-
This ended up being my favorite, much to my surprise. It was also the most under-represented at Con, also much to my surprise. I just added brown ribbon to the sides of khaki pants I had, long sleeved burgundy shirt, 11th Doctor suspenders, brown boots I already own, black cami. I spray painted one of the kids' toy guns. Belt from Walmart. Femme Mal. I have to say, the Browncoats were kind of assholish.So sad.




 
Day three- morning
4th Doctor- Costume Tee, grey skirt, brown hat. Simple. I thought it was cute, and probably the most comfortable. Not as clever as the others, though, and nowhere near being a great 4th Doctor.

Day four, afternoon/evening TARDIS - 
I would hazard a guess that the TARDIS was the most done costume at Con. Or at least the most represented symbol. You couldn't walk 10 feet without seeing a t-shirt, hat, or full-blown costume. I was hesitant to do it, because it's way overdone, and I'm all about originality. However, since I already owned three TARDIS t-shirts, I tried to think of a way to incorporated them into something interesting. Two weeks ago, Ada had her dance recital, and one of her costumes gave me the inspiration I was looking for. I mad a TARDIS tutu. Awesome, no? Eh, it had great potential, but I don't think I pulled it off. I made it far too fluffy for someone as big as I am. I will redo the fluffy bits, and next time I need a TARDIS tutu, I will be rockin' it. I paired it with my TARDIS tank, some electric blue leggings and my blue and black canvas shoes, plus used some blue and white tulle in my hair. The hair bits ended up being smoshed around by the kids, so I took it out and used it like a headband. Not quite as cute.

Of course I don't have a decent picture of me. Some may pop up on the forums, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment