Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Phoenix Comicon, Part 5- Reflections

Part 1- Build Up
Part 2- Our Costumes
Part 3- Panels
Part 4- The People

So. After all is said and done, the takeaway is? I don't know. It was fun. Awesome. Exhausting. Infuriating (at times). Seriously cool. Ridiculous. Pick a label, it was that. All packed into the hours of 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 23 to about 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 26.

I understand that many people go for only one day their first time. That would not have worked for us. For me. There was just too much to see, to do, to take in. I can't operate that way if I don't have to, and I was fortunate that this time around, I didn't have to. I probably should have, but chose not to.

My expectations, going in, were to connect with a group or groups of people who were into some of the same things I (we) are into. That didn't really happen, but I am not altogether disappointed, because really, there's no earthly way I could have spent any more time networking with the kids there (and if the kids weren't there? I probably would have hid in a corner and just watched - can we say INTROVERT! Kids are a great shield.)

Also, going in, I knew it was going to be a chore. I knew it was going to be harder for me than for most, because of this stupid illness. Had I done this four months ago with the same kids, it would have been tiring, but not as overwhelming. But being sick every second of every day for going on three months has played havoc on my mind and body, obviously, not to mention the realities of four days of extreme exertion with fevers, body aches, exhaustion and KIDS!

That being said, I wish we could fly to Denver tomorrow for their Comicon and do it all over again this weekend!

Tucson has a Comicon in ... the fall sometime. We will try to go, but it won't be the full out extravaganza of Phoenix. There are some mini-Cons, even one in Mesa I think. We'll see.

I realize I am setting the kids up for full geekdom, but let's face it. The odds were always stacked that way anyway. The good news is that with me as their role model, they have a fighting chance to be geek chic instead of ... well, troglodyte geek. Not that I can see either of them going down that road, but you just never know. :)

And now, I'm calling it a wrap. For a while, anyway.

Part 6 - Doing Comicon with Kids, HOW TO, coming up sometime

No comments:

Post a Comment